Oldspeak: “Leaving aside the fact that there shouldn’t be any U.S. plan for Egypt, another example of the U.S. meddling in the affairs of sovereign nations. The Egyptian people have already rejected this “concession” by Mubarak. Nevermind the fact it’s illegal under their constitution. The last thing they want is Mubarak’s boy, who’s run Egypt’s intelligence agency, and has supported the U.S.’s international torture program to be their next fucking president. Still the plan moves forward. Why is U.S. backed regime change complete and absolute in some countries (Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, etc, etc…) and cosmetic in this one? Probably because this particular regime has been an all too willing ally in supporting U.S. imperialism (and has been paid handsomely to the tune of 23 BILLION over the last 30 years), often to the detriment of the Egyptian people now in the streets demanding real change.
From Raw Story:
A US plan to see Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak leave office immediately is reportedly in the works and would see a transitional government formed by Mubarak’s vice-president, a former head of Egypt’s spy agency and an alleged “CIA point man” who facilitated the “extraordinary rendition” of terrorism suspects.
US officials are discussing a plan with Egyptian officials that would see Mubarak quit immediately and hand over power to a transitional government run by Vice President Omar Suleiman, the New York Times reported Thursday.
Even though Mr. Mubarak has balked, so far, at leaving now, officials from both governments are continuing talks about a plan in which, Mr. Suleiman, backed by Sami Enan, chief of the Egyptian armed forces, and Field Marshal Mohamed Tantawi, the Defense Minister, would immediately begin a process of constitutional reform.
The proposal also calls for the transitional government to invite members from a broad range of opposition groups, including the banned Muslim Brotherhood, to begin work to open up the country’s electoral system in an effort to bring about free and fair elections in September, the officials said.
As spy chief, Suleiman reportedly embraced the CIA’s controversial “extraordinary rendition” program, in which terror suspects snatched by the Americans were taken to Egypt and other countries without legal proceedings and subjected to interrogations.
He “was the CIA’s point man in Egypt for rendition,” Jane Mayer, author ofThe Dark Side, wrote on the New Yorker‘s website.
After taking over as spy director, Suleiman oversaw an agreement with the United States in 1995 that allowed for suspected militants to be secretly transferred to Egypt for questioning, according to the book “Ghost Plane” by journalist Stephen Grey.
US officials told the New York Timesthe US plan to replace Mubarak with Suleiman is one of several under consideration, and there is no evidence yet that the Egyptian leadership will accept it.
Officials told the Times that the plan’s success would depend on a number of factors, including the mood of protesters in the streets and the willingness of the military to accept it.
— With an earlier report from AFP